Start Your Week By Driving Culture
Do you start your week off with a sense of dread of how you’ll get your teams motivated and inspired this week? Or do you get overwhelmed as to how to you can make culture deeper but, wow, there’s just so much work to do?
Having a clearly defined expectation of your organization’s culture is always the foremost step, but it’s the consistent application of culture throughout the week that will enhance employee engagement and make your teams synergize with purpose.
So to give you a starting point for success, here is a simple Monday checklist to get you started driving culture this week:
- Read your company’s culture and mission statement.
- Make sure culture and mission are posted in work and employee areas highlighted often to prevent the “wallpaper effect”.
- Start your leadership team off with a “temperature check” of how culture is and a commitment to make culture Job #1 this week.
- Through intercoms, team meetings, line checks, calls, personal interactions, make sure to promote your culture at every interaction.
- Thread culture through every project, strategic plan, financial forecast, training sessions, and every other project in an effort to bring cohesive engagement.
- Pick 5 employees (1 per day) and find a “temperature check” time to ask about cutlure and empower them to build it.
- Schedule time for yourself midway through the week to stop and asses how YOU are impacting culture.
- Wrap up your work week with a reflection or a “plus-minus” of how your team enhanced culture and what next week’s steps are.
I kept this checklist simple because we have a tendency to over-complicate the important in our lives. By keeping this list before you and reviewing it every morning, you will see consistent, then amazing, growth in your culture and how your people will fully lock-in to promoting the mission and vision of the organization as well.
Feel free to adapt and tailor this checklist to your individual and corporate needs. I attached two links to previous posts I’ve written to help you in your staff 1-to-1’s and reviewing your days and weeks. These strategies will help this checklist become a living organism in your company.
Keeping it simple is key, but keeping it a priority is vital. Make culture happen this week!