Appreciating True Leadership
Leadership – sometimes defined very broadly – is not just a position or responsibility. Instead, it’s a calling to use your given skills and talents to positively influence others.
True leadership, to me, is the ability to grow people, and subsequently organizations, to lead them past what they normally would be into another level upwards of accomplishment, realization, and success. True leadership gives value and voice to others and allows them to keep everything in check and balance in the organization.
In looking back on many years of unique opportunities, the following are the reasons I appreciate the calling of leadership training:
- Helping others find satisfaction and success
- Seeing teens and young adults carry on the mantle or ethical leadership
- Building solid teams with a singleness of vision
- Creating diverse teams with differentiation of backgrounds and skills
- Finding those diamonds in the rough that others pass over
- Taking others out of their box to get them to look at things through another viewpoint
- Expositing timeless principles and applying them to today’s challenges
- Forgetting about me in the process and working to make others better
- Working with people from all corners of the globe, both in person and virtually
- Seeing the spark in peoples’ eyes and minds when they see the possibilities before them
While I have a personal resonation with these, they may strike a chord with yourself. Consider the reasons you lead others and examine what motivates you to be in leadership.
Do any of these reasons listed agree with you? Do you have other reasons you enjoy being in leadership; true leadership? If so, please let us know in the comments below!
Make the most of your opportunity to have that next generation be ready to take the baton and influence their world for the better.